Thursday, May 27, 2010

summer internship: first impressions

Yesterday I began my stint as a communications intern with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. It started off with a bang as I had a chance to attend a staff retreat where the topic of discussion was the next year's media/marketing plan.

Before Wednesday, I didn't know much, if anything, about corporate meetings, media plans, or Baptists. So I learned a lot over the last day and a half. For example:

1. Most Baptists under 50 don't mind dancing.
2. Same goes for drinking.
3. Texas is the only state with two separate Baptist conventions.
4. Baptists love acronyms.

I spent a good portion of the time feeling slightly overwhelmed. I didn't grow up in a Baptist church, but I attended two during college. In spite of those few years of exposure, I had no idea how the relationship between the convention and individual churches worked.

There's a lot of catch up for me to do, but I think I'll learn a lot about writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment