Friday, November 12, 2010

sizing myself up

Like many brides, I would love it if my body looked a little different on my wedding day.

Unlike many brides, I don't want it to get smaller.

Last week when my mom, grandma and I were sitting around the kitchen table, talk inevitably turned to them telling me to eat more.

My grandma lowered her voice so my grandpa and dad wouldn't hear in the living room.

"Don't you want to be voluptuous for Michael?"
.
.
.
AWKWARD.

I get comments about eating more from my grandma a lot. Usually they don't bother me, but my mom has gotten in on it the last couple of weeks, and I started feeling frustrated.

But then I remembered a dress pattern I had bought at an estate sale earlier that afternoon:




It was made in 1985, and the size chart on the back made me feel a lot better:



Today, I am a size nothing. At J.Crew, I'm a double nothing. In 1985, I would have been a size 8! This is comforting to me. It makes me feel less abnormal.

This is related to the wedding, I promise. My wedding dress is a size 0, but it 's still a little tiny bit big. It would fit perfectly if I could just gain an inch all over. The problem is, I don't put on weight easily (I know, roll your eyes at me for calling this a "problem").

I always eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I thought this was the healthy way to go about it, but my trousers have been fitting a bit loose in the back lately. This may have something to do with my eating less meat since I read about the hormones and antibiotics that are fed/injected into the animals we consume. Blech. I'm currently working on my parents to convince them to by "happy animal" meat. Anyway, not the point.

The point is, I'm going to try to start eating foods with a higher fat content to gain weight for my wedding. And maybe just eating more in general, even if it's just slightly beyond a comfortable full feeling.

Luckily, I can get started on this right away. Dinner tonight is potato soup made with bacon grease and half and half, and homemade bread and butter. Yum! I'd better go get started on it now. Those potatoes won't chop themselves.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lauren,
    Maybe you should gain muscle mass and exercise more or eat more calories...

    ReplyDelete